Wednesday, April 18, 2012

thirty-seven

37... does that number have any significance to you?  Probably not, right?  In June of 2008, that number became my worst enemy.  37 years is the average life expectancy of someone with CF.  I remember reading that fact right after we received the phone call about Kaelyn being a CF carrier.  At that moment I knew nothing about Cystic Fibrosis, but there was one thing I was certain of.... knowing 37 years isn't long enough.

After Kaelyn's positive diagnosis of CF ten days later, I burst into tears because once again the number 37 was back to haunt me.  It just wasn't fair... and it STILL isn't, nor will it EVER be.  Think about it, how old are you right now?  I'll be 30 this summer and I'm certain that 37 years of life isn't long enough for me.  Sure I've had many amazing life experiences over the past 30 years, but what about all the experiences I would be denied of because my life was cut short?  Some of you reading this may be well past 37 years... imagine not experiencing all you have once you passed 37.  Some may be a year from 37, five years, ten years... imagine.

One thing I hear all too often is people complaining about getting older.  People ashamed of their age or growing another year older on their birthday.  What's so bad about turning 30, 40, 50, 80?  For many, and not just those with CF, growing older is a privilege they are denied.  Fighting to stay strong, healthy, and positive so they can live life to it's fullest and never complaining about growing another year older.


The worst part about the number 37 is that it's just an average for those with CF - I know some who live well past 37 years, but at the same time I still hear of too many who don't even come close.  And sure none of us know exactly how much time we'll be given to live our lives, there's no guarantees... that's why life should never be taken for granted... as well as growing old.  Enjoy that privilege,  always.

We need a CURE!
http://www.cff.org/Great_Strides/JulieWeber

No comments:

Post a Comment