Tuesday, May 8, 2012

the light at the end of the tunnel...... is getting brighter!

My eyes filled with tears of joy this morning as an overwhelming amount of hope kind of took over.  Over the past (almost) 4 years since we've discovered Kaelyn's diagnosis with cystic fibrosis, I've felt a good mix of emotions.  I'd say sadness and anger initially described my feelings towards her CF.  There were plenty of times when I just didn't understand, why us?

We're all dealt different hands in life.  Some times our hand seems unfair, and I know that's how I've felt about mine on different occasions.  Although, when it comes to the one card we were dealt with Kaelyn's CF diagnosis, I feel like I finally understand why it was dealt to us.  While CF isn't something that I would wish upon my worst enemy and it's something no one should have to face... I feel like CF is a unique blessing in disguise.  In my eyes, our family was dealt this card in our hand of life because we are strong enough to do something about CF - to keep on fighting for a cure and to make a difference in Kaelyn's life.  When I see the support we get at the walk or at a fundraiser we put together, or the way our family and friends reach out without hesitation to do whatever they can to support our hope and dream of a cure one day - how can I not feel beyond blessed?  Or when we attend various CF events throughout the year which are filled with unknown faces... people who aren't directly affected by CF but are still fighting for a cure with us out of the goodness of their hearts - it some times leaves me speechless, but once again I leave each and every one of those events feeling very blessed for my daughter.

In less than 4 years, I sit here with another change in emotion... an even stronger sense of hope.  As a parent, I've always tried to have hope for Kaelyn's future knowing CF is a progressive, terminal disease.  If it weren't for hope, what would I have??  I'm not going to let myself sit and sulk, get depressed and feel like there's no fighting chance for my daughter.  At times it's hard, especially for me.  I can let negativity get the best of me at times, and not just when it comes to CF.  However, in less than 4 years, the research that has been happening in the CF community is simply amazing - way beyond what I'd expect to hear at this point!  The title of an article I read this morning was: "Vertex's Cystic Fibrosis Therapy Is Called 'Game Changing'".  How can I not feel butterflies in my stomach reading that headline?!?  And if you've become a part of the Kaelyn's Kure family or you've learned what exactly CF is, it should hopefully bring a smile to your face as well!  I've talked about Vertex Pharmaceuticals before when I announced back in January that the FDA had finally approved the very first drug to target the root cause of cystic fibrosis.  Incredible news, but it could only help 4% of the CF population with a certain mutation.

Remember that cystic fibrosis has over 1600 different mutations that one can inherit from their parents (if their parents are carriers).  The most common mutation is known as Delta F508.  About 90% of those with CF have at least ONE copy of this mutation - Kaelyn has one copy of Delta F508 (her other is P5L).  The news I read yesterday and this morning is about the 2nd drug that Vertex is working on right now that's currently in Phase 2 of clinical trials.  This 2nd drug is being tested on those who have either one or two copies of the Delta F508 mutation and the results have once again been incredible!  Breathing ability significantly improved, lung function increased... all because Vertex has been able to create drugs that are MAKING SALT TRANSFER HAPPEN in the cells (remember, CF mutations alter or stop salt transfer which causes the thick mucus that clogs airways and breeds infections).  Because these drugs are correcting the salt transfer, the symptoms of cystic fibrosis are being halted!!  THIS IS.... HAPPENING!!  It's not a cure yet, it's not finalized, and there's still a lot of work to be done - but if that doesn't lift your spirit of hope then I'm not sure what kind of news will!

To read the latest CF news in more detail:  http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/08/business/vertexs-cystic-fibrosis-therapy-is-called-game-changing.html?_r=1&partner=yahoofinance








No comments:

Post a Comment